Monday, July 12, 2010

Feeding Your Family, Part 1

One of the most common things I hear when people ask about my nutrition is "my family won't eat that" and they write-off clean-eating entirely. Because many (if not most) of the women on my competition team are mothers or care-givers in some capacity, I know that clean cooking for families is feasible. Yes, it takes planning, just like feeding any family does, but it isn't impossible. This week, we have the luxury of hearing from mothers who are making it happen. Here's what our first super-mom, Amy S., has to say:

I am a wife to a husband who farms, and even he will tell you eats rather poorly. He rarely eats breakfast, often eats out for lunch and then skips eating anything until supper where I make a good meal followed by his late night snacking. I am excited, however, to announce that he's going to jump on board with workouts and learn better, cleaner eating habits, yay! He often will ask to try the recipes I make each week and is slowly learning to like eating cleaner foods..it is, however quite a change from processed, sugar laden foods he's currently used to. We also farm sugar beets, so I am forced to hide my Splenda for baking. I still use good ol' American Crystal Sugar in recipes and cooking..but like I tell my husband, "It's not that you can't have it..but moderation is key and our society "super-sizes" that word!

My children are Sydney (age 3 1/2) and Noah (age 1) so at this point I haven't integrated them too much into my eating habits, but if I make cookies I try keep them clean. I still have a few recipes I need to try! My hope is that once I get my husband on board, it will become a family lifestyle so much of the junk is out of the house and easier to resist. Plus, if I'm having a weak moment, having all of the crap food in the house is just one more temptation to my day.

So, as you've guessed..much of my eating is done just for me right now..which is ok. I prep on Sunday evenings always making satay chicken (one of my all time favorites), steel cut oatmeal in bulk quantities (so that I can make banana walnut oatmeal), and I always try to make 1 new recipe. With working full time and trying to juggle a family, I find that the less I have to think about food and what to make during the busy work week, the more likely I will stay on track with eating and want to fit in my lifts and cardio too! My new FAVORITE summer recipe snack is protein rich Guacamole (from U Rock Girl blog) paired with a serving of baked tortilla chips..yummo! Recipe below..enjoy!

6 oz. plain fat free Greek yogurt (I buy Fage at Target)
2-3 Avocados, peeled and mashed
1/2 jalepeno seeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup Cilantro (can find in a tube at Target produce section)
1 green onion, finely chopped
**1 tsp ground cumin (I skip this step)
Blend all, chill until ready to use:)


Subscribe
Enter your email address to receive notifications when there are new posts
Powered by BLOG ALERT

No comments:

Post a Comment